Saturday, September 25, 2010

Doing Laundry in Grenada

One of the biggest disadvantages of living in Grenada is doing the laundry. The mold here already spontaneously forms at a much faster rate. With the heat and humidity, this is prime for bad smell. I'm living off campus currently and in order to do my laundry, I use the washer, but not the dryer. To dry my clothes, I must hang them outside on a line on my balcony. Once I do this, my clothes have regained the stink that they had before I washed them from the outside environment. Not only that, the fabric becomes more wrinkly and harder.

Compared to on campus though, I do not have to wait in line. On campus, there are only a few laundry machines in each building which houses more than 100 students. I've been talking to my friends on campus and even they have problems with laundry. There have been many reports of girls getting UTI (urinary tract infection). This happens frequently since if your clothes are not washed properly, pathogens can travel up from the bottom. Gladly, I don't have to worry about this. Though, I do check my clothes to see if there are any bugs before I wear them just in case.

The dryer we have is broken and it also generates too much electricity causing our utility bill to skyrocket. Though, I do wish they would fix the dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment