Thursday, August 19, 2010

9th day - Internet arrives!

I got a call in the morning from LIME, the cable and wireless company. They tried to call me yesterday, but I was in class. I arranged for them to come in the morning. They needed directions to our house since most of the houses in Grenada don't have addresses. So while I waited for them to come, I pre-read biochem.

Once they came, they changed the channel on the modem manually and called the company to activate it. The guy told me afterwards if I have any medicine for a cold b/c he wasn't feeling good. I didn't have any advil, so I gave him robitussin.

This way, I didn't need to give a tip. We anyways deposited 500 EC for this so they owe us service.

We got a funny prof. today for class. As normal if the prof is funny, the class will like him. It doesn't matter if the prof. can actually teach, all that matters is if he is funny or not. It turned out he was also a good teacher, so it didn't matter. After the whole class was over, I hear people complain more and more about studies. Term 1 is supposed to be the easiest too. Most students are so used to memorizing every detail and having time to read the whole book, studying like this is a completely different thing for them. It took me 3 years in undergrad to finally learn the optimal method of studying. People are still studying longer, I'm studying more efficiently.

After class, there was an upper termer who overheard me explaining the development of the nervous system with my hands. He came over and said that he was a 4th termer and that all 1st termers need to is memorize the slides and that you don't have to understand it so well. Wow. A 4th termer is telling me to not "understand", but to "memorize". This is where you have to use your own brain and common sense to filter out nonsense like this. Sorry, but I'm still an engineer, and I will not lose what took me 3 years to understand. Students here are trying to transition from memorize->understand and he's telling me to do the opposite lol. The worse part is that upper termers think they are doing you a favor. No thanks. The last thing on my mind is learning the minimum amount of material to pass the course. I'm not aiming for just As, I'm aiming to be a good doctor overall. It's too bad that 90% of the students will take whatever upper termers say as law.

When I came back home, I found that the internet was not working (TIG). I will have to call them again in the morning sigh. If you're wondering how I'm writing this post it's because the the floor below us does have internet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment