Thursday, August 12, 2010

1st Day in Grenada

My flight was pretty smooth. I had salsa omelette for breakfast with some fruits and a honey bun. For some reason, I couldn't go to sleep even though I woke up at 4 am. Thus, I just ended up watching the in-flight movies Iron Man 2 and Free Willy. When we landed, we had to wait a while before we could exit from the front or back of the plane. As soon as I got out, I felt the burst of heat, avg. temp. was 86 F.

I went straight to immigration, which was a long line as usual. While it was long, I got to talk to some 1st termers too. When I got to baggage claim, they removed all the bags from the conveyer belt and put them on the ground. There were also some other bags mixed in from other flights and you had to ask some ppl where bags were from your flight since there was no sign or display at all. When something goes wrong that is unique to Grenada, students say TIG =this is grenada. This was one of those moments. It took me a while, but I finally found my bags and then I stood in the Green channel line since I had nothing to declare. I had my laptop receipt from the last time I paid tax on it, so it was smoothly.

After customs, I took a cab to my house which cost me 40 EC, kind of expensive considering my house was 10 mins. driving from the airport. Oh well, TIG. When I arrived at the house, I got hit by a lot of TIG. There was mold in some stuff that I left behind, dust, AC not working, dryer not working, washer door not closing properly. I learned a trick to close the washer door with a knife. That way, I could at least begin to wash some things. I would then hang them outside to dry the old fashion way. Before, I could even unpack, I started to do some cleaning and organizing to make some space. Then I realized I have no hangers b/c I forgot to get them from my previous room.

So I went to IGA, the supermarket. The name comes from IgA antibodies. Thankfully, they had milk, but they ran out of sponges (TIG). I ended up eating there at Spiceland Mall, which IGA is part of. I got a chicken wrap for 15 EC ($7.5 CAD). I waited for the bus and then went back home. Did some more unpacking and cleaning. Before you know it, it was night time.

I had to do another round of shopping as did my flatmates, so we went together and shared a cab. We got there and also had dinner there. Then I went back, unpacked, then went back to campus since I had no internet at home. I emailed a couple of people, wrote this post, and then the library closed at 9:30 pm for some reason (TIG). I went back home walked half of the way b/c I didn't feel like waiting for the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment