Monday, August 16, 2010

6th day - classes begin!

Well finally today the classes will begin. We started off with a professional workshop in the morning which was about common sense. Afterwards, at about 1 pm, we had classes - histology, biochemistry, anatomy, and bioethics. All the courses look interesting. All the profs. didn't teach us anything today though besides more common sense.

After the courses, we had to prepare for the white coat ceremony, which is basically a ceremony where faculty members put a white lab coat on the student to introduce them into the world of medicine. Sounds like a neat idea, but it really isn't. I mean come on, wouldn't you rather get the prize AFTER the hard work? I don't feel like a doctor now and I won't feel like one after I wear the coat either. Anyways, the ceremony was pretty boring with very long speeches. On top of that, the most annoying person was sitting next to me who laughs and jokes about everything...Some jokes that shouldn't be said and aren't funny. You can only pretend to laugh at someone's jokes for so long. We could sit wherever we wanted to, but it was too late to move. When they announced our name, they also announced our birth country. Mine was obviously India. It was no surprise to me that I was the only Indian from India in FTM. Either that, or they were too ashamed to say their birth country.

I did, however, feel good once I had the lab coat, but that feeling soon subsided. A lot of people told me I look like a real doc. After the ceremony, there was supposed to be a formal party. Like most formal parties, the food quality is avg. and the food quantity is a lot. They had meatball sticks, samosas, fruits, and some egg thing. Nothing to really fill you up unless you take like 20 meatball sticks. The kids from the FTM, as usual, were stuck together with glue. I also talked with some FTM people, but most of the people I know from FTM went to UK. While I live off-campus, I'm getting to know around the same or more new 1st Termers than the FTM people who live on campus! I tried to meet some new people from the incoming class. This was the only good part of the entire ceremony - meeting and talking with new people. It felt like a freaking prom, with people taking pictures of fake people they just met, so they have a pic to put on facebook.

After a while, I changed my clothes and went to the library. I would go home, but I would end up doing the same thing - internet. The only difference is that the library doesn't have mosquitos. With a warning of dengue fever around the corner, I'm trying to avoid them as much as possible. Though, mosquitos are everywhere, so it's pretty much impossible.

I'm glad I finally have some reading to do for some courses. Most likely, I'll end up doing the same thing as last time- solo studying unless I can find someone who I can study with. Honestly, I'm probably a nerd for saying this, but I just want to get caught up in studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment