Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 3 over

I forgot to update. Yes, it's been a great week. The classes are fine still. The material is all stuff that I learned in the FTM (foundations to medicine) before I even started real med school. Furthermore, it's my favorite courses - Physiology and Neuroscience. The teaching style is similar to engineering in both and the material overlaps tremendously. For physio, I just have to sit back, relax, and listen as it is just a story. For neuro, I just have to do some math (yay). Genetics and Parasitology require a bit more work since it involves lots of memorization, but it's all-do-able.

I have volunteered to become an Anatomy 'demonstrator' to help Term 1 students in the Anatomy lab every Fri from 8-10 pm. Last Fri was my first shift. Yes, I do get paid - it's only 10 ec per hour, but that means 20 ec every time I do it, which is equivalent to one free meal. It was great, I have access to all the course materials that Term 1 students have. I basically read 2 weeks of their material (~9 lectures)+lab videos in 3 hours after my class on Fri. Then, I even finished my own lectures that I had on Fri. By the time, it was 8 pm, I was already ready to go to the lab. I wasn't expecting many students during 8-10 pm, on a Fri, especially when it's only end of Week 2, but there were many. I helped a lot of students.

It's a lot better than joining clubs in my opinion as it forces me to review anatomy from 1st Term, which will be on my board exams. It also gives me an opportunity to refine my lab skills, which when I do clinical rotations, is going to be of prime importance.

I'm also working out 1-2 times per week now, which I think is reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment